Re: Browser maximum WIDTH & HEIGHT! -Reply

Scott E. Preece (
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 23:56:10 -0600

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 23:56:10 -0600
From: (Scott E. Preece)
Subject: Re: Browser maximum WIDTH & HEIGHT! -Reply

   From: Charles Peyton Taylor <>
|   Controling the User's browser is not
|   the answer.  When I look at a web page,
|   it's my browser.  It may be your document,
|   but it's still my browser.

yes, but...  I would be perfectly happy for my browser to ask me if it
was alright to resize to a page's preferred size or (better) to open a
new window of the preferred size without closing the existing main
window.  And when I use the "open URL in new window" option (which I
increasingly find myself doing by default because the the "back"
operation too often involves reloading the page), I would be perfectly
happy for the new window to come up in the page's preferred size.

I assume authors would not feel compelled to specify a page size unless
they had a reason to (for instance, an image of a certain size) and that
the browser could offer a preference allowed turning off auto-resize for
those who hate it.

scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550
internet mail: