Re: Possible use of <INSERT> - serious inquiry (fwd)

MegaZone wrote:

> Once upon a time Murray Altheim shaped the electrons to say...
> >A valid HTML document is of the form:
> >
> >    <!DOCTYPE ...>
> > [etc]
> >    </HTML>
> >
> >To insert another valid HTML document anywhere in this structure
> >invalidates the document, unless the inserted entity is a document fragment
> >and it is allowed at the inserted location.

The INSERT proposal is for inlining arbitrary objects (of which, text/html
objects are one possible example). This does not invalidate the document any
more than the jpeg image data invalidates an HTML document with an
IMG element in it. INSERT is not a #include.

> >Also, the issue of whether or not the inserted document exists on the same
> >system may or may not be a problem, depending on your SGML system. While a

This problem also goes away.

> >Therefore, any feature that required an insertion of content based upon
> >URLs may not be conformant. Someone may correct me on this, but this is the

Ditto. Perhaps the W3C spec should be clarified, if it is possible to
get the impression that this is including fragments of HTML into a
single document.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |