Re: <insert> and external entity references (fwd)

MegaZone (megazone@livingston.com)
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 23:11:48 -0800 (PST)

From: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>
Subject: Re: <insert> and external entity references (fwd)
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 23:11:48 -0800 (PST)

Once upon a time Benjamin C. W. Sittler shaped the electrons to say...
>Basically, the author needs to write up a DTD (or download/refer to one)
>which includes all the tags used in that document. This could be based on

aye, there's the rub

Can anyone say that they expect the majority of users - who can't get HTML
write half of the time - to get a DTD right?

And keep a straight face?

I'm no stranger to computing nor HTML.  I've only skirted the fringes of
SGML however.

I don't think *I* can write a DTD accurately without a lot of references.
(Not that I've tried, but in reading them they aren't exactly simple.)

If you could create one with plug in modules (a module for each tag I guess)
then I can see it, give it a nice GUI front end...

-MZ
--
Although I work for Livingston Enterprises Technical Support, I alone am
responsible for everything contained herein.  So don't waste my managers'