Re: Possible use of <INSERT> - serious inquiry (fwd)

MegaZone (
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 19:51:30 -0800 (PST)

From: MegaZone <>
Subject: Re: Possible use of <INSERT> - serious inquiry (fwd)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 19:51:30 -0800 (PST)

Once upon a time Abigail shaped the electrons to say...
>++ What about this?
>++ <insert
>++ 	type="text/html"
>++ 	data=""
>++ >
>++ </insert>
>++ If it isn't possible, wouldn't this be a worthwhile extension to the
>++ <INSERT> capability?
>I do not think so.  Using the http protocol, it is the _server_ which
>gives out the information about the document type. What should
>a user agent do if the <insert> type says 'image/gif', but
>the server gives 'image/jpg'? What if the type isn't fixed in advance?
>How would you do it with content negotiation?

I didn't add that, it is *already* part of the <INSERT> proposal.
'text/html' is my addition to this, but they already have a slew of MIME
types in the proposal.

The reason for this is that the browser looks at that and can then decide
to bother downloading it or not - ie, they only download things they know
how to handle.

Although I work for Livingston Enterprises Technical Support, I alone am
responsible for everything contained herein.  So don't waste my managers'
time bitching to them if you don't like something I've said.  Flame me.
Phone: 800-458-9966  <>
FAX: 510-426-8951    6920 Koll Center Parkway #220, Pleasanton, CA 94566