Re: Idea for adding to HTML

At 08:33 PM 3/18/96 -0700, Benjamin C. W. Sittler wrote:
>Perhaps instead of adding a new tag to HTML, we could use an existing
>(i.e. already proposed) tag like INSERT. [1] Then the only job that
>remains is to convince browser manufacturers to support it. One could
>even overload the existing IMG tag for inline HTML objects -- it may
>be that that is the sanest way to do it.

I am pretty sure that I read that some future version of Microsoft Internet
Explorer will support INSERTed HTML just as it would any other OLE object in
any other OLE application...it will call an OLE handler.

Still, if we want to reduce the number of inquiries about this potential
feature and speed up its implementation, perhaps W3C should go to the
browser vendors, explicitly ask them to support it and issue a press
release. I can the imagine buzzword-laden document already:

W3C Members Agree to Implement HTML-object Embedding

Today W3C announced a standard way of including HTML document objects inside
other HTML documents, just as you would include a multimedia object. XXX and
YYY have agreed to implement HTML object embedding in the next major
versions of their HTML projects."

HTML user Paul Prescod said 'This is definately a step forward. We've been
waiting for this a long time. HTML always had the flexibility to do HTML
object embedding, but until we were assured of vendor support, we couldn't
depend on that feature.'

 Paul Prescod