Re: Netscape tags not HTML3.0 compatible

Murray Altheim (
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 12:29:10 -0400

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 12:29:10 -0400
To: Dan Delaney <>
From: (Murray Altheim)
Subject: Re: Netscape tags not HTML3.0 compatible

Dan Delaney <> writes:
>On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
>> > Subject: HTML3.0 tags not Netscape compatible
>> You mean, "Netscape tags not HTML3.0 compatible", i think.  Netscape
>> is not a standards body.
>   No, that's NOT what he meant. He meant exactly what he said. If
>Netscape, at this point the most popular graphics browser, isn't going to
>support the HTML 3.0 standards which we are attampting to set up, then
>how will we ever get any standards. [...]

I think you might want to back up a bit and do some homework on HTML 3.0.
It existed only as an Internet Draft (which had absolutely no status as a
standard; read the intro to any draft:

>   Internet Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
>   months and can be updated, replaced or obsoleted by other documents
>   at any time. It is inappropriate to use Internet drafts as reference
>   material or to cite them as other than as "work in progress".

The HTML 3.0 draft specification expired early last fall. It is not
considered a standard, never has been, and never will be. Work on 3.0 has
been divided into various proposals, and as stated above, it is
inappropriate to refer to I-Ds as standards. Discussion on HTML 3.0 has
ended. Elvis has left the building.

>Are we just waisting our time?
>Netscape seems to have conveniently ignored certain HTML tags which they
>don't want to use. They talk all sweet and innocent "Netscape remains
>committed to supporting HTML 3.0" But we all know that that's bullshit.

Enough already on the Netscape bashing, and read the existing
documentation, starting at:

>The question is: will there ever really be a standard which all browsers

And to answer your question: no -- simply because the market won't sit
still and allow the language to stabilize.

     Murray Altheim, Program Manager
     Spyglass, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts
     email: <>
     http:  <>