Re: The LINK tag and NCSA Mosaic??

On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, Chris Josephes wrote:
> What's this about the LINK tag being used to implement a button bar?
> Does this have to do with the w3 version of LINK, or is this more suited
> to the WebRouser version of the tag.

I don't have any experience with that particular browser, but the sample
pages on its site appear to use <LINK> in a manner nearly identical to the
one described in the HTML3 draft.  The only obvious difference is their
use of role= in place of of rel=.  (A rather curious change to make, in my
opinion.)

> I suppose I could see a specil button for a link to a stylesheet since
> stylesheets are supposed to be optional, but how would that work for an
> external banner?

The idea isn't to display a button for every <LINK>, but only for those
used to connect the page to others within a larger document. I.e:

<LINK rel=next>
<LINK rel=previous>
<LINK rel=top>
<LINK rel=copyright>

and possibly

<LINK rel=bookmark title="More about Avocadoes">

but not <LINK rel=banner> or <LINK rel=stylesheet>.

--
Michael Seaton(mseaton@inforamp.net)