&lt and < in literals

Patrick McManus (mcmanus@nysernet.org)
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 16:04:16 -0500 (EST)

From: Patrick McManus <mcmanus@nysernet.org>
Subject: &lt and < in literals
To: www-html@www10.w3.org
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 16:04:16 -0500 (EST)

Folks,

I'm once again in a position wher I think I understand the spec, but
need confirmation because of uncoperative browsers..

The lines:

<SELECT NAME="something">
<OPTION VALUE="<<hi>>"> &lt;&lt;hi&gt;&gt is a good choice
</SELECT>

Which I feel should render to something like :

	<<hi>> is a good choice

Does what I would expect under netscape 2.0 (X).. submits a pair with
a name of something, and value of <<hi>>.. MSIE on the other hand
(win95) renders it something like

	>"> <<hi>> is a good choice

assumably using the leading > and assuming I forgot a quote or
something like that and closing the tag for me. My interpretation of
all this is I can't write the expression I want to write under MSIE in
any way shape or form.. (&lt and &gt should not be expanded in the
literal, correct?)

Thanks for the nuances..
-P