Re: Indirect references

Albert Lunde (
Sat, 2 Mar 1996 22:51:03 -0600 (CST)

Subject: Re: Indirect references
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 22:51:03 -0600 (CST)
From: (Albert Lunde)

> However, an indirect referencing scheme might go a long way towards
> solving this problem.  Rather than:
>         <A HREF="http://www.blah/foo.html">
> which is an "absolute" pointer, perhaps a syntax change allowing
> dynamic lookup would solve the problem:
>        <A HREF="" ...>
> The idea is that to resolve the HREF, (in this case)
> is asked for the *current* location of (syntax here
> needs some thought).  This way, one could move pages around, update
> pointers on whatever index server one uses, and all existing pointers
> would still work.

Up to a point, this can be done with no changes in protocol or syntax
by using something like a database-driven CGI script to make
redirects to the actual location of pages, and I think some sites
have done this (we use such a scheme to point to staff home pages
based on our Ph database ... this idea came from

Efforts to develop URNs are aimed at providing indirection in slightly
a more elegant or general way... I'm unsure of the exact status of
this but it seemed to be converging on some agreements as of the
Boston WWW conference in December.

    Albert Lunde