Re: Automatic Entry and Forms -Reply

Jim Taylor (
Fri, 01 Mar 1996 15:16:05 -0800

Date: Fri, 01 Mar 1996 15:16:05 -0800
From: Jim Taylor <>
Subject:  Re: Automatic Entry and Forms  -Reply

>>> Mike Wexler <> - 3/1/96 2:13 PM

>> A given form might include element definitions
>> from several standards, e.g. a base dictionary with name, address,
>> an industry specific dictionary, and an application specific
>> In many cases, information exchanged is derived from data stored
>> to another standard. In these cases, a data element dictionary
might be
>> created to model the information represented by that standard.
>>  > It would be desirable to be able to distinguish Data Element
>> from other classes, e.g. styles, etc.
>Actually the beauty of the idea is that they aren't separate. Lets
>that some auto-parts store creates a really dull page, but uses
>to specify auto-fillin. I can then create a style sheets that makes
>the part numbers red, underlined, and blinking in order to spiff
>up a bit. If we have two reasons why people need to do descriptive
>markup, and they both use the same syntax, this might help encourage
>people to "do the right thing."
>> This way "dumb" browser, i.e.
>> a browser that does not know how to parse a particular DED (Data
>> Element Dictionary) could still perform some automation based
>> on the names, e.g. the DED URL, the class name and form field
>It could do that even if the class names were put in their for other
>purposes (like style sheets).

But what if the author wants to distinguish between style and data
element? If I didn't like red, underlined, blinking part numbers (and
I'm sure I wouldn't :-) but I still wanted to use the standard so the
fields would be auto-filled, how would I identify the information
without having the style applied? Are styles independent of the class
attribute or are they implied by it? (I still haven't assimilated
Style Sheets and CSS....)

Jim "The Frog" Taylor, Director of Information Technology
Videodiscovery, Inc. - Multimedia Education for Science and Math
Seattle, WA, 206-285-5400 <>