Re: Introducing NetscapeML

T. V. Raman (
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 17:25:20 -0700

Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 17:25:20 -0700
To: Ka-Ping Yee <>
Cc: Walter Ian Kaye <>,,,
Subject: Re: Introducing NetscapeML
From: "T. V. Raman" <>

Ka-Ping is right --in the world of free browsers users can *demand*
not plead.

To cite an example, I'm blind and use a talking computer. A couple of
months ago, I was (temporarily) thrilled to see an announcement coming
out of MicroSoft saying that their new browser would be accessible to
blind users using screen-access programs --the almost total
inaccessibility of NetScape has been a serious problem.

However my short-lived enthusiasm for MSFT was *very* short-lived
--after downloading their beta release that the announcement claimed
worked with speech access programs I was disappointed to see that the
Win95 screen access program I have (which is incidentally still Beta
after almost a year since win95 shipped)
could see even less of the IE screen than it could of the Netscape
screen. So simple choice --I went  tback to using William Perry's
excellent  W3 browser (though I know many scoff at an emacs based

The point I'd like to make is that there is a war out there to
convince all of us about what browser we should be using, and I'd be
very sceptical in the future about anyone's announcements.

Best Regards,

      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 (415) 962 3945   (B-1 115)
      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 (415) 962 6063
      (E 1-160) 1585 Charleston Road       Email:
      Mountain View, CA 94039 -7900
      http://www-atg/People/Raman.html (Internal To Adobe)  (Cornell)
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and in no way should be taken
            as representative of my employer, Adobe Systems Inc.