Re: Subject indexing

At 1:43 PM 6/27/96, Mark Yin wrote:
>I am wandering why there isn't a standard way in HTML to indicate the
>subject area of a HTML document. For example, a hierarchical representation
>of subject area:
>
>        <ISINDEX  SUBJECT="Internet.WWW.HTML">

The ISINDEX tag does exist, but is used for a different purpose than
you describe -- please don't confuse the two...

>Although there is a CONTENT attribute in META tag, it does not provide a
>standard way for subject indexing in HTML.

Well, it could, for example as in:

<META NAME="yin.subject" CONTENT="Internet.WWW.HTML">

where "yin" indicates some specific scheme. Of course the problem is
agreeing on what scheme to use/invent, not how to include it in HTML.

-- Martijn

Email: m.koster@webcrawler.com
WWW: http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/mak.html