Re: Efficient linking between sections of different documents

On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Ankur Bhatnagar wrote:

> There is no need to add any additional tag.  Only a new
> convention needs to be defined.  I suggest that the referred
> content be enclosed as follows:
>
> [Start of the document]
> [End of the document]
>
> The server will search for "xyz" and then "/xyz". It will
> return the content starting from "xyz" till "/xyz".  If there
> is no "/xyz" (current practice), it will return the whole
> document starting from "xyz".

The main problem with this is that it will then not return a legal HTML
file; having had the travesty of early Netscape Gold betas forced upon us
(and, more importantly, the legacy of the pages so created), do we really
want something which actually _can't_ apparently be used in a legal way?

Also, when you think about it, a properly structured site with appropriate
references will only have links into pages associated with the document in
question, so some of your reason for having this doesn't really arise.
Also, if you're talking about information dissemination rather than web
publishing (as I believe you are) then you're likely not interested in
images anyway and can just not download them, which will most likely have
a more drastic effect on your bandwidth consumption.

Hope this helps.

James

  James Aylett - Crystal Services (crystal.clare.cam.ac.uk): BBS, Ftp and Web
     Clare College, Cambridge, CB2 1TL -- sja20@cam.ac.uk -- (0976) 212023