Premature Version numbers [was: SRC attribute for HR/UL/DIR/MENU? ]

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 03:01:35 -0400

To: galactus@stack.urc.tue.nl (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Premature Version numbers [was: SRC attribute for HR/UL/DIR/MENU? ]
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 03:01:35 -0400
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>

In message <ihXxx4uYORpG089yn@stack.urc.tue.nl>, Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet w
rites:

>Again, the idea is that HTML 3.2 *describes current practice* rather
>than sets new standards. New proposed tags will be in Cougar, HTML
>3.[censored] if I understand it correctly.

Yikes! Folks are already assinging a new version number, based
not on an internet draft, not on a DTD, but on a rumor of a code name!

After the fiasco with HTML 3.0, the main rule for choosing HTML
version numbers is to choose ther version number AFTER the set
of features has solidified.

So if any particular version number gets used a lot in public forums
before a spec is issued and stable, you can bet that we'll skip
right past it and choose another one.

Dan