Re: Controlling page breaks in printouts

Brian Candler (brian@psg.com)
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 10:56:23 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 10:56:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Candler <brian@psg.com>
To: Dan Delaney <dgdela01@homer.louisville.edu>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Controlling page breaks in printouts

> Consider this:
>
> <BLOCK>
> <H1>Headline</H1>
> Large paragraph, say, 20 lines or so.
> </BLOCK>
>
> Now that would certainly keep the headline from being orphaned, but it
> would make it so that if there wasn't enough room at the bottom of the
> page for the ENTIRE PARAGRAPH, then it would take it to the next pages.

Yeah, I concede that point: with my method, you'd have to put the
</BLOCK> after the first few sentences, which would mean that the <BLOCK>
container would overlap with the <P>

I also concede that browsers should by themselves prevent orphaned
<H>eaders (and first/last lines of paragraphs too) when printing. However
it is still possible that you might want to include, say, a chunk of code
or an example as a <PRE> which is important enough to keep together on one
page - so at least it should have a "keep lines together" attribute. Can I
do this with stylesheets as they are already defined?

I also quite like using

<BLOCK>
<HR>
<B>This is a very important point</B>
</HR>
</BLOCK>

i.e. using a pair of rules to highlight a paragraph; this looks good both
on screen and printed, but only as long as all three elements are kept
together!

Brian.