Re: comment on draft-ietf-html-i18n-04.txt

Sorry it has taken a while to get back to this but it has nothing to do
with trying to descriminate against anyone.  Business recondnises that
English and French are the international language, (Yes, even in the
Orient) and for the sense of comunications, the web should also.  This is a
pandoras box that once opened has the potential to tear the internet apart.
The great strength of the internet is to bring people together without the
interfearence of government or geography.  I converse on a regular basis
with people from South Africa, Poland, Germany, Iceland, Austraila,
Singapore and Japan.  If everyone was speaking their own language, no one
would be sharing ideas.  Instead, when one has a problem, we are all
willing to help to the best of our abilities.  Nationalistic attitudes like
this will not strengnthen this, but has a very real posibilities of killing
it.  Your argument if made in Japaneese or Korean would not be open for
discussion if we all used our own languages.  I am not saying that people
should not converse in language that makes the most sense for the audience,
I just feel that we will give people a reason to seperate rather than share
ideas.  This could be the legacy of our generation.  LETS NOT SCREW IT UP!!

On Sat, 8 Jun 96 16:01:34 JST,  wrote:

>Dear HTML WG;
>
>The goal of I18N is to make one's native language and
>characters as good as English and ASCII, or, at least,
>major European languages and Latin1.
>
>As the base character set of SGML is Latin1, it is obvious
>that European users are not satisfied with ASCII plain text
>with additional Latin1 support only at the HTML level.
>
>So, it is an unacceptable descrimination not to discuss
>I18N at the plain text level.
>
>That is, HTML WG is not the appropriate place to discuss things
>like draft-ietf-html-i18n*.
>
>For the I18N of HTML, it's enough to say,
>
>	HTML should be internationalized at the plain text level
>
>Additional discussion in the draft on how HTTP support MIME
>charset is the way to distinguish multiple localizations
>and unrelated to I18N.
>
>					Masataka Ohta
>
>PS
>
>ISO-2022-CN-EXT described in RFC 1922 contains all the plains
>of CNS 11643 and, thus, is a lot richer than ISO 10646.
>
>With 16bit flat encoding, it is already impossible to cover
>those additional characters along with those already contained
>in ISO 10646.
>
>PPS
>
>As I am not specifically interested in HTML, which has little
>to do with I18N, I don't belong to HTML mailing list.
>
>Further comments, if any, should be directly sent to me.

Kevin Fries
Programmer
Colorado Department of Natural Resources - Division of Wildlife