Re: Setting tab size in PRE

S.N.Brodie@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat, 15 Jun 1996 22:24:40 +0100 (BST)

From: S.N.Brodie@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Setting tab size in PRE
To: jpenix@ece.uc.edu (John Penix)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 22:24:40 +0100 (BST)
Cc: www-html@w3.org

John Penix wrote:

> Has anyone suggested a way to set the tab size inside PRE.  I found
> nothing in the archive.  The spec says that the tab size is 8 and
> that's that.  It also makes the comment that tabs should not be
> documents, which seems to do against the whole preformatted concept.
> Anyway, I just thought I would throw this suggestion out on the floor.
> I do not see why it would cause any conflicting interactions with
> other things, but I'm not intimate with brouser implementation.

Unaware browsers would still be using 8 as the tab size ... so none of the
text carefully tabbed out by the author would be aligned properly any
more.

Is this really what you want?

--
Stewart Brodie, Electronics & Computer Science, Southampton University.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~snb94r/      http://delenn.ecs.soton.ac.uk/