Re: Netscape doin' their own thang ..

Rude Boy (L.Willis@comp.brad.ac.uk)
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:37:40 +0100 (BST)

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:37:40 +0100 (BST)
From: Rude Boy <L.Willis@comp.brad.ac.uk>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Netscape doin' their own thang ..

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, MegaZone wrote:

> Once upon a time Rude Boy shaped the electrons to say...
> >> Whilst this is quite clever defensive code it does mean that anyone
> >> who writes their pages always using  <!-- ... > to delimit quotes will
> >> have their pages carrying on working and so be unresponsive to requests
> >> to fix it.
> >Yet another example of Netscape doing their own little thing and ignoring
> >specs ??
>
> Actually in this case they seem to have done some clever error checking.
> If you write to the spec it works.  At least it doesn't terminate on the
> first '>' all the time.

Yeah, OK, so if you write as per spec then everything's fine and dandy,
but I don't think that encouraging people to write non-standard HTML
(Which is what you do if one of the most popular browsers will let you do
it no questions asked ...) is a very responsible thing to do as in the
end it's just gonna lead to huge confusion and vast tracts of web-land
being un-readable etc. etc.

All in my humble opinion folks so don't get _too_ aggro ...

Lee.