Re: Java and HTML and well known socket numbers

Darren New (dnew@yuan.fv.com)
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 09:37:57 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 09:37:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Darren New <dnew@yuan.fv.com>
To: Matthew James Marnell <marnellm@portia.portia.com>
Cc: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>, Russell Holt <holtrf@destinyusa.com>,
Subject: Re: Java and HTML and well known socket numbers

> back, why send one back?  Why send a whole big bloody applet back
> when you can use any number of protocols to talk back and forth.

Well, if you're running a public server, users might want to upload Java
applets to be run when forms are filled out, for example. (I.e., I might
want to replace insecure CGI scripts with "secure" Java applets, so I
don't need to hand-check all user scripts for security purposes.)

--
 Darren New / Dir. of Custom Software Design / First Virtual Holdings Inc.
  http://www.fv.com or info@fv.com  -=|=-  PGP Key: ftp://ftp.fv.com/pub/fv