Re: Java and HTML and well known socket numbers

James Aylett (sja20@hermes.cam.ac.uk)
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 15:12:01 +0100 (BST)

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 15:12:01 +0100 (BST)
From: James Aylett <sja20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>, Russell Holt <holtrf@destinyusa.com>,
Subject: Re: Java and HTML and well known socket numbers

> Matthew James Marnell <marnellm@portia.portia.com> asks:
>
> > Why are we talking about running
> > Java applets on servers?

And Paul Prescod responds:

> Well, if you have a big data source (let's say the complete works of
> Shakespeare) and I want to do a really wonky query (let's say it involves
> linguistics based interpretation of the text), I might just upload my applet
> and you can bill me for the CPU time it takes up.

Yes, but isn't this a usage in which a daemon is a bad way of doing
things? Bearing in mind that you're charging people, it makes more sense
to send the applet to a person than a computer, in which case no new port
is needed because SMTP works quite fine ...
In addition, and even if you weren't charging people, how could you stop
people say uploading a Java applet (or application, more likely) where it
just spent a while chugging away on your server doing part of an
encryption breaking job then communicating the result back. Would you
really open your server to such abuse by running a daemon?

James

    James Aylett - The Casorati-Weierstrass Theorem. Perhaps too much said?
     Clare College, Cambridge, CB2 1TL -- sja20@cam.ac.uk -- (0976) 212023