Re: HTML 3.2: PRE should not exclude IMG

Matthew James Marnell (marnellm@portia.portia.com)
Tue, 04 Jun 1996 02:34:44 -0400

To: lazio@spacenet.tn.cornell.edu
Cc: boo@best.com, www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2: PRE should not exclude IMG
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 02:34:44 -0400
From: Matthew James Marnell <marnellm@portia.portia.com>

:>
:>WIK> But they require separate, huge programs (seen Ghostscript or
:>WIK> Acrobat?)  for rendering.
:>
:> Probably part of Abigail's point.  To do real page layout is
:>difficult and (often) requires huge programs.

I don't know what everyone is griping about with the large programs.
Evidently nobody here has downloaded Netscape 3.0b4 with Live3d for
the Mac.  I don't own another single program that takes up that much
space in memory while running.  18 Meg folks.  Ghostscript doesn't
take up that much space on any one of my Unix systems loading a 200
page document.  Heck, INND only takes up a little more than that
during nightly expires.

Sorry folks, that old excuse of large helper programs doesn't cut
it anymore except for the fact that if you don't have 32 Meg or
more in just about any computer these days, your helper apps will
choke because your browser has your system for lunch.  Netscape
wants to be making OS's in the near future, it looks like, even
MacOS only takes 7 Meg with everything turned on, and I'm running
a fully functional Unix system that does DNS, web service and
routing on 8Meg and it does very well thanks.

Matt