Re: Deprecating FONT and CENTER

MegaZone (megazone@livingston.com)
Fri, 31 May 1996 21:43:55 +1700 (PDT)

Subject: Re: Deprecating FONT and CENTER
To: marcush@crc.ricoh.com (Marcus E. Hennecke)
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 21:43:55 +1700 (PDT)
Cc: www-html@w3.org
From: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>

Once upon a time Marcus E. Hennecke shaped the electrons to say...
>FONT have been declared deprecated. Wasn't there considerable consensus
>on this list that they should be? Or at least that there should be a
>strict version without those elements?

On there being a 'strict' version - yes.

As for deprecation, no, I don't believe there was.  Just as an example,
I disagree with you in that I feel CENTER should be deperecated in favor
of DIV align=center but I believe FONT should stay since it is useful and
I think trying to force Style Sheet use for simple things like that is
insane.  The only problem with FONT is the COLOR attribute and that is a
fault in the implementation *not* in the tag itself.

-MZ
--
Although I work for Livingston Enterprises Technical Support, I alone am
responsible for everything contained herein.  So don't waste my managers'