Re: What about  ?

Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet wrote:
>And given the statement in the expired HTML 3.0 draft[0]
>
>Non-breaking Space ( )
>
>   This should be treated in the same way as the space character (ASCII
>   character code 32 decimal), except that the user agent should never
>   break lines at this point.  It is useful when you want to ensure that
>   neigbouring words always stay together and don't get split across
>   lines.

In any case, until i18n HTML is based on 8859-1. The definition of any character
should be taken from 8859-1.

It seems some people assumed NBSP's should be "collapsed", as applies to spaces.
There are, however, many HTML and other applications that do not collapse NBSP,
as has been mentioned here before. Similarly, in many "locales" it is not considered
whitespace.

I suggest that the use of NBSP and the other special spaces be clarified by
stating explicitely that they are not whitespace and are to be handled just
as any other graphic character.

Jonathan Rosenne