Re: Comments in markup?

Arnoud (
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 19:42:21 +0200

From: (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
Subject: Re: Comments in markup?
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 19:42:21 +0200

In article <>,
Rainer Klute <> wrote:
> >Or is there simply a restriction on *where* such declarations may be
> >used? I find it very strange that you can put <!-- --> anywhere, but
> >not <!ENTITY foo CDATA "&#62"> or something like that.
> Exactly. That's the difference between the DTD and the document
> the DTD applies to. All you can do is to modify/extend the DTD
> within the DOCTYPE declaration.

So if I understand this correctly, you can put comment declarations
in the document, but no other SGML declarations?

Is there a particular reason to think up something as perverted as this,
or am I missing something obvious?

To find out more about PGP, send mail with HELP PGP in the SUBJECT line to me.
E-mail: - Please PGP encrypt your mail if you can.
Finger for public key (key ID 0x416A1A35).
Anonymity and privacy site: <>