Re: Cougar DTD: Do not use CDATA declared content for SCRIPT

Albert Lunde (Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu)
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 20:35:24 -0500 (CDT)

Subject: Re: Cougar DTD: Do not use CDATA declared content for SCRIPT
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 20:35:24 -0500 (CDT)
From: Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu (Albert Lunde)

David Perrell wrote:

> Ping :
>
> Can the CDATA content definition be changed to accommodate the
> treatment of content as an implicitly marked section? Whether it's a
> parsing nightmare must be debatable, since both NSN v2 and MSIE v3b2
> apparently treat SCRIPT content as such, excepting an initial comment
> start.

The problem is not so much writing a huristic parser that works
"most of the time", but coming up with a consistent formalism
that is reliable.

One either has to stay within the rules of SGML _or_ produce
a formal description of how to go outside them. Without
a formalism, it's just a pile of hacks.

(I'm currently unimpressed by Javascript: the server administration
web pages generated by a demo version of the Netscape server
periodically crashed a copy of Netscape 2.02 we were using
to access them. If Netscape can't get robust interoperability
among it's own products, I don't have much hope it will be useful
in a wider forum.)