Re: <A> content model in Cougar

Arnoud (
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 21:10:13 +0200

From: (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
Subject: Re: <A> content model in Cougar
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 21:10:13 +0200

In article <>,
Arne Knudson <> wrote:
>      I've noticed that the Cougar DTD declares %A.content (the entity
> describing the allowed content for the A element) as %text. The HTML 2.0
> DTD, though, has the following declaration:

Funny, I never noticed that until you pointed this out. And yet, all
the times where I wrapped <A NAME> around headers, I got complaints
from validators. Hm.

> instances of HTML 2.0, but fails under HTML 3.2. Was it a conscious decision
> to remove %heading from %A.content, or would it be wiser to make HTML 3.2
> backwards compatable by using the same defininition (with %HTML.Recommended
> and a default %A.content) as in the HTML 2.0 DTD?

I think that since A is regarded as text-level markup, the heading would
terminate the current block element, and the anchor inside it as well.
IOW, A *can't* contain headers.

To find out more about PGP, send mail with HELP PGP in the SUBJECT line to me.
E-mail: - Please PGP encrypt your mail if you can.
Finger for public key (key ID 0x416A1A35).
Anonymity and privacy site: <>