Re: unknown tags and client plug-ins

Erik Aronesty wrote:

> if i want to create a plug-in that renders MINSE mathematecal
> expressions should i use

Great idea.  Please let me know what you have in mind.  See
<URL:http://www.lfw.org/math/usage.html> for a discussion of
deployment methods.

> this method:
>
>         <object class=math-minse src=http://www.ack.com/aover2.htm>
>
>         ---------contents of aover2.htm-------
>         a/2
>         ----end contents of aover2.htm-------

You can use SRC to include an external file, yes, but then you
need to indicate that its type is "text/x-minse".  Labelling
its class isn't enough.

> or this
>         <object class=math-minse>a/2</object>

This example wouldn't work.  The content of the OBJECT element
is supposed to be alternative to the object, not a representation
of the object itself.  If you want to inline an expression using
an OBJECT element, use a "data:..." URL.

Using an object tag gives you the option, as pointed out by
Lee Daniel Crocker, of providing alternative content.  That's
up to you, though MINSE expressions can already be rendered
to both graphical and textual browsers (and the notation is
pretty easy to understand just as is).

> or just
>
>         <math>a/2</math>

The correct tag name is "SE", so you can do this with simply:

    <se>a/2</se>

I decided that "MATH" was too specific a tag name; "SE" stands
for "structured expression", a term which applies about as well
to mathematics as it does to, say, chemical formulae.

Ping