Re: Web-related IPC -- WAS: Re: Product Differentiation

Fisher Mark (FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com)
Thu, 25 Jul 96 12:52:00 PDT

From: Fisher Mark <FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com>
To: www-html <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Web-related IPC -- WAS: Re: Product Differentiation
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 12:52:00 PDT

If you haven't already, go ahead and look at ILU
<URL:ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/ilu.html> (thank you, Larry & Dan).
 As ILU-using programs can talk to other ILU, CORBA (yes, it is (basically)
a CORBA ORB), and ONC RPC programs, as well as using HTTP, it looks like a
reasonable solution for portable distributed computing.  Unfortunately, I
haven't had a need to write such code yet, so I don't know how in practice
it would stand up against other methods.  Worth a look, though.

Netscapies, Microsofties, I know you are out there -- are you listening?
Mark Leighton Fisher                   Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm@indy.tce.com                   Indianapolis, IN