Re: Web-related IPC -- WAS: Re: Product Differentiation

At 03:30 PM 7/23/96 -0700, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>Well, the source code is freely available
>(<ftp://redback.cs.uwa.edu.au//Others/Quinn/Config/>), so all it'll take
>is for someone to "port" it... ;)

I don't think that's really very necessary...

>Actually, it is a set of preferences. The APIs are for getting/setting
>prefs (such as finding out which app is used for http),

Global shared state is handled in Windows through the global Windows
registry. Microsoft (or a sufficiently influential ISV) announces what
registry keys to use and everyone uses them.

>parsing URLs,
>launching URLs (by finding the appropriate app), etc.

These things are being integrated into Windows 95 at the very lowest level.
You can use the same function call you use to launch a DOS or Windows
executable or document to launch a URL. You can launch URLs from the command
line without specifying a browser. You can launch URLs from the Start menu.

So it might make sense to port the Internet Config API, but the
functionality is already in Windows, it just needs a cross platform wrapper.

As far as IPC, I think that is a totally different matter...

 Paul Prescod