ReComments on Cougar DTD: (fwd)

MegaZone (
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 17:52:23 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: ReComments on Cougar DTD: (fwd)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 17:52:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: MegaZone <>

Once upon a time Dave Raggett shaped the electrons to say...
>>  TYPE=PLAIN for UL. If we had
>        <!ENTITY % ULStyle "plain|disc|square|circle">
>   we could write <UL PLAIN>, common practice among certain browsers
>   for some time now.
>Dan Connolly and I have discussed this with vendors and without
>naming people, we met with resistance to adding the proposed changes
>to HTML.  An easier and perhaps better route for such presentation
>features will be via style sheets.

I don't see how they can justify resistance to this one - if they monitor
this list and the myriad of WWW newsgroups they can't belp but notice that
people are asking for ways to do a non-bulletted list on a regular basis.

All they need to do is modify the code to just not insert a bullet of any
kind, or if that is too hard, create a new 'bullet' style of 'plain' that
is just a null graphic.

Phone: 800-458-9966 510-426-0770 FAX: 510-426-8951
For support requests:  <>
Snail mail: 6920 Koll Center Parkway  #220, Pleasanton, CA 94566