Re: Acronym for Cougar?

Marc Salomon (marc@ckm.ucsf.edu)
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 11:45:00 -0700

From: "Marc Salomon" <marc@ckm.ucsf.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 11:45:00 -0700
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Acronym for Cougar?

Jay Bazuzi <jaybaz@microsoft.com>

<SPAN CLASS="ACRONYM">HTML</SPAN> v. <ACRONYM>HTML</ACRONYM>

|This is an interesting idea that has show up a couple times here lately.
| To generalize your suggestion, what you seem to be proposing is that
|the tag name becomes an attribute of some generic, non-meaningful tag.
|Consider, for example, the following DTD snippet:
|
|	<!ELEMENT TAG	- -	(#PCDATA | TAG)* >
|	<!ATTLIST TAG
|		ELEMNAME	NAME	#REQUIRED	-- Element Name --

Absolutely not.  I am suggesting that the <SPAN> tag, the one in
http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/Cougar/HTML.dtd be used for its intended
purpose.  The specially-marked-up content is still part of the general text
flow and structurally belongs in the content model of whatever contains it. not
locked up in an attribute.

-marc