Re: ReComments on Cougar DTD:

Arnoud (
Sun, 21 Jul 1996 19:35:27 +0200

From: (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
Subject: Re: ReComments on Cougar DTD:
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 19:35:27 +0200

In article <>,
Paul Prescod <> wrote:
> > It would require a lot of careful coding to do this with style sheets.
> > What if you use the same bullet for two different lists, and decide
> > to switch bullets in one of the lists? You would also be changing the
> > appearance of the other list.
> If the lists are semantically connected, then when one changes the other
> should too. If the lists are not semantically connected (I.e. lists of the same
> "type"), then they should have different classes. It's a simple rule.

This would then mean that I end up with, say, ten classes which all
indicate a red ball as bullet for the list. Hm.

But again, if inline style markup is going to be in Cougar (the STYLE
attribute), why not allow 'shortcuts' for certain often-used constructs?
It would be similar to having <CENTER> next to <DIV ALIGN=CENTER>, or
<FONT FACE=times> next to <SPAN STYLE="font: times">.

PS: My CSS1 is a bit rusty, but I hope you get the idea.
To find out more about PGP, send mail with HELP PGP in the SUBJECT line to me.
E-mail: - Please PGP encrypt your mail if you can.
Finger for public key (key ID 0x416A1A35).
Anonymity and privacy site: <>