Re: semantic markup for math

At 11:02 AM 19/7/96 -0400, Daniel W. Connolly wrote:
>It seems like the big pull for "pictures of math" (as opposed to
>symbolic/semantic math) would be scientific publishers.  And the
>copyright enforcement/payment infrastructure on the web isn't mature
>enough for them to bother.

Several scientific publishers are already planning to use GIFs of maths on
their web sites. Since production can be automated in many cases, the
overhead isn't too large. I think most would switch to markup if a working
scheme were adopted though, so they'll probably wait and see what happens.

Paul Treadaway