Re: True quotes

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 19:16:26 -0700

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: True quotes
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 19:16:26 -0700

Marcus E. Hennecke wrote:

> Nononono! Please stick to the SGML entities as Jim Taylor suggested:...

What SGML entities? I looked at three different tables of SGML character
entities and found no such. Anyway, does SGML precede PostScript, a
publishing standard? And PS has precedents.

Quote entities should begin with "quo" for a logical reason: if you
alphabetize the list the quotes are all together. This corresponds to the
character naming convention of "a", "agrave", "aacute", etc. Grave is not
used as a prefix to a. By the same reasoning, dr should not be a prefix to
quo.

If it's short names you want (and I agree), why add the letter "s" when
single is implied?

Here are shortened entities with "quo" taking precedence:

<!ENTITY quodl CDATA "&#8220;" -- quote, double left     -->
<!ENTITY quodr CDATA "&#8221;" -- quote, double right    -->
<!ENTITY quol CDATA "&#8216;" -- quote, left     -->
<!ENTITY quor CDATA "&#8217;" -- quote, right    -->

Alphabetized by entity name, that's how they'd fall in a list.

David Perrell