True quotes

>From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>

>How do I legitimately get true typographic opening and closing quotes, =
>both single and double?
>
>Have there been no requests for named entities for quoteleft, =
>quoteright, quotedblleft and quotedblright? With font face and size =
>specification becoming standard, these characters are sorely needed.

The best solution is not named entities, but the <q> and </q> tags, that together
with the LANG attribute (implied or explicitely given), the capabilities of
your software and hardware, and any personal preferences the software vendor
may choose to support, will generate the desired quote characters.

<q> is part of the i18n effort. I hope we will have such systems soon.

>David Perrell

Jonathan Rosenne