Re: True quotes

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 13:33:41 -0700

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: True quotes
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 13:33:41 -0700

 Abigail wrote:

> I've always failed to see the problem with quotes. I've been using ' ` and "
> for 20 years or so, and anyone always understood what I meant.

This is a form of esthetic retardation caused by over-exposure to
character-mapped displays and typewritten text.

Unlike the typewriter vestige ", true opening and closing quotes vary a
great deal between fonts, and their distinctiveness grows with font size
and screen resolution. For those who discern the emotional quality of
letterforms and layouts, their lack is sorely felt.

David Perrell