Re: Comments on Cougar DTD

Marcus E. Hennecke (marcush@crc.ricoh.com)
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 12:06:03 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 12:06:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Marcus E. Hennecke" <marcush@crc.ricoh.com>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Comments on Cougar DTD

On Thu, 18 Jul 1996 20:06:49 +0200, galactus@stack.urc.tue.nl (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet) wrote:
> In article <199607171902.MAA02740@cougar.crc.ricoh.com>,
> "Marcus E. Hennecke" <marcush@crc.ricoh.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Jul 1996 19:56:04 +0200, galactus@stack.urc.tue.nl (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet) wrote:
> > > ALL block elements should have those attributes, including ALIGN and
> > > CLASS.
> >
> > I thought so. I would assume that this was just an oversight.
>
> Perhaps I'm not reading the DTD right, but from what I can see, the
> lists (UL, OL, DL) don't have ALIGN and CLASS either. I think they
> need it as well.

They do have the CLASS attribute since %attrs; contains %style;, which
contains CLASS.

> Would simply changing <!ENTITY % attrs "%style %i18n"> to
> <!ENTITY % attrs "%style %i18n %just"> do the trick, or would this
> cause problems with other elements?

This would indeed cause problems. The ALIGN attribute should only be
allowed for block-like elements. If you make it part of %attrs;, you
could write <B ALIGN=CENTER> and that would mean that B implied a
line break (otherwise how would you center?).

I note that only very few elements currently have the ALIGN attribute.
Should it be allowed for all block-like elements?

Marcus
--
Marcus E. Hennecke
marcush@crc.ricoh.com        http://www.crc.ricoh.com/~marcush/