True quotes

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:32:27 -0700

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: True quotes
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:32:27 -0700

How do I legitimately get true typographic opening and closing quotes, =
both single and double?

I say legitimately because I can get them on the Windows platform with =
the non-ISO codes of &#145;, &#146;, &#147;, and #148;. But I suspect =
these codes will not produce the desired characters on other platforms.

Theoretically, I can get them using the ISO numbers for single quotes =
and doubling them. But both Navigator and Explorer display the ASCII =
keyboard characters for &#039; (') and &#096; ( `), which are not the =
same as the typographic characters.

Have there been no requests for named entities for quoteleft, =
quoteright, quotedblleft and quotedblright? With font face and size =
specification becoming standard, these characters are sorely needed.

David Perrell