Re: Netscape's SPACER

Arnoud (
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 19:59:09 +0200

From: (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
Subject: Re: Netscape's SPACER
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 19:59:09 +0200

In article <>,
Hakon Lie <> wrote:
> Arnoud Engelfriet writes:
>  > > The "display: inline" part in the above examples is there because BR
>  > > is normally a block-level element. One can avoid this annoyance by
>  > > using an inline element, but then an end tag is required:
>  >
>  > Is it? Then why is it listed in the Wilbur DTD in the "special" group
>  > of character-level elements, together with FONT, A, APPLET and IMG?
> Whether an element is formatted as block or inline is up to the style
> sheet.

Only for style-sheet supporting browsers. Most current browsers, as
well as HTML 2 and Wilbur list BR as a character-level element, which
needs to be inside P or similar to be valid.

I don't see a need to change this to block-level. Why break all the
older browsers?

To find out more about PGP, send mail with HELP PGP in the SUBJECT line to me.
E-mail: - Please PGP encrypt your mail if you can.
Finger for public key (key ID 0x416A1A35).
Anonymity and privacy site: <>