Re: Netscape's SPACER

In article <199607171408.QAA05875@www4.inria.fr>,
Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org> wrote:
> Arnoud Engelfriet writes:
>  > > The "display: inline" part in the above examples is there because BR
>  > > is normally a block-level element. One can avoid this annoyance by
>  > > using an inline element, but then an end tag is required:
>  >
>  > Is it? Then why is it listed in the Wilbur DTD in the "special" group
>  > of character-level elements, together with FONT, A, APPLET and IMG?
>
> Whether an element is formatted as block or inline is up to the style
> sheet.

Only for style-sheet supporting browsers. Most current browsers, as
well as HTML 2 and Wilbur list BR as a character-level element, which
needs to be inside P or similar to be valid.

I don't see a need to change this to block-level. Why break all the
older browsers?

Galactus

--
To find out more about PGP, send mail with HELP PGP in the SUBJECT line to me.
E-mail: galactus@stack.urc.tue.nl - Please PGP encrypt your mail if you can.