Re: ***MATH***

Dave Carter (dxc@ast.cam.ac.uk)
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 17:28:22 +0100 (BST)

Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 17:28:22 +0100 (BST)
From: Dave Carter <dxc@ast.cam.ac.uk>
To: Lineaer Algebraiker <ma104@math.uio.no>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: ***MATH***

On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Lineaer Algebraiker wrote:

> > Is it really a standard you want, or some software that supports
> > math functionality?
>=20
> First and foremost I want the STANDARD!!! Then, when thats established, I=
 want=20
> software (anything that runs on Unix/Linux, and, of course, Netscape) tha=
t=20
> supports the standard. If I only wanted "software that supports math=20
> functionality" then I could have stayed with Arena, or done a number of o=
ther=20
> stupid things that ensured that I was the only one that could read my web=
=20
> pages... (They're in Norwegian already, so I feel no need to decrease my=
=20
> potential audience any further ;-)
>=20
Personally I would be happy with an assurance that Arena will be
maintained, maybe by the group in Japan that seems interested, I am
perfectly prepared to tell any visitors to my pages that they have to get
Arena or udiWWW or else go away.

> I ***DON'T*** want plug-ins, inline gifs or what-have-you. latex2html doe=
s=20
> that job more than well enough (sorry Ping, but your stuff is useless to =
me=20
> because of this, as far as I could see).
>=20
Plug-ins in particular are a particularly bad idea, <math> is mainstream,
and should be supported by browsers. Have plug-ins for silly amimations by
all means, but <math> is too important for this.

> HTML3.0 worked just fine for my purposes, except that noone supported it =
in=20
> the end; I didn't quite understand what people had against it.
>=20
> It is *very* frustrating to have to sit and wait aroud so long for a stan=
dard=20
> I have no real influence on. Could we at least have some dates? Will my=
=20
> grandchildren be able to code math directly in html?;-(
>=20
> I just hope the end-product uses some experience from LaTeX, which every=
=20
> mathematician knows is the only sensible way to write mathematics. <fear>=
Or=20
> does MS's membership in W3C mean that we'll get something based on <yuck>
> Word</yuck>?</fear>=20

Well I think Mathematica and Maple are part of this, basically it is their
participation which seems to have stopped the current development.

>=20
> Whilst I'm at it, why not just add a new tag or two:
ta=20
> \sin x dx</latex>?
>=20

> alternative to the W3C, which, after all, functions far from ideally from=
 my=20
> point of view?
>=20
Yes, (sorry I lost the top of this) but if there were an alternative to
W3C which concentrated on serious rather than commercial issues, then I
would be prepared to put some effort in.

> --=20
> James =D8. Baum
> MA104 Line=E6r Algebra Fjernundervisningsprosjektet -
> MA104 Linear Algebra 'Open University Project' - Oslo, Norway
> http://www.math.uio.no/~ma104/=09#include <standard/disclaimer>
>=20
>=20

Dave Carter