HTML constrained to SGML? [was: a good idea ]

In message <c=US%a=_%p=Montgomery%l=EXCHANGE_SERVE-960713185206Z-606@sf-exch-2.
montgomery.com>, Erik Aronesty writes:

>Maintaining HTML as a subset of SGML is not a goal of the WG charter NOR
>is it a goal of W3.

Hello? I wish you'd cite a source for your [mis]information. Usually,
when you go to look something up, you disciver a lot of errors
_before_ wasting everyone's time by posting.

I'm not sure what WG you're talking about, but if it's the IETF
HTML working group, SGML is certainly in the charter:

===============
http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/html.charters/html-charter.html

Description

The HTML Working Group is chartered firstly to describe, and secondly
to develop, the HyperText Markup Language (HTML). The group's work is
to be based on existing practice on the Internet, and will make due
reference to the SGML standard.

Personally, I go back and forth about throwing SGML in the trash
several times a day. But I don't go putting words into the mouth
of the HTML working group. And I don't take lightly the value
of HTML being an SGML application.

As for W3C position on the issue, it's at:

http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/Activity

and in fact, it doesn't mention SGML as a goal/requirement.

Dan