Re: Quotes in German

Frank Wegmann (wegmann@linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de)
Fri, 12 Jul 96 11:58 WET DST

Date: Fri, 12 Jul 96 11:58 WET DST
From: wegmann@linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Frank Wegmann)
To: CTaylor@wposmtp.nps.navy.mil
Subject: Re: Quotes in German
Cc: www-html@w3.org

> Would there be a problem if the Browser displayed &quote;
> using the german glyphs if it was a german browser and
>  " if it was an english browser?

This would prevent quoted german text from being displayed
correctly in a non-german browser, and naturally vice versa:
I'd get english text with german quotes when using a german
browser. Why not using the lang attribute of Cougar's BDO
element to indicate the language. Then you could go along
with the <q> tag that you mentioned:

and use the appropriate glyphs for begin and end of quote.
Unfortunately, I don't know if this fits in the current model
of HTML, though.

Frank Wegmann