Re: Parsing methods

Marc Salomon (marc@ckm.ucsf.edu)
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 16:16:33 -0700

From: "Marc Salomon" <marc@ckm.ucsf.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 16:16:33 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Parsing methods

Paul Prescond wrote:
|It seems we go over this every few weeks. Can we agree that the best
|behaviour is for the browser to provide a mechanism for _reporting_ invalid
|documents but "do its best" to render it?

Be conservative in what you generate and be liberal in what you accept is a
time honored net.rule that applies here.

The main reason that I validate my documents is to ensure their long lifespan
and to ease any future format translations, not to ensure that all browsers can
render them.  We Mosaic die-hards know that not all browsers can render all
documents.

-marc