keys in HTML?

William F. Hammond (hammond@csc.albany.edu)
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 18:26:35 -0400 (EDT)

From: "William F. Hammond" <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 18:26:35 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: keys in HTML?

I invite anybody who thinks that any form of key definition in
*net-served* HTML is a good idea to think about the wonder world of
risks that is opened when keys that are traditionally used for
page-forward, select-anchor, add-bookmark, abort-request, etc. get
used in ways that I do not even want to suggest.

Messing with keys is also not a good idea for stylesheets.

On the other hand, key-equivalents to menus in browsers that run
under GUI's are very good to have, especially when they are user
configurable and when the browser's menus show the key combinations,
reflecting a user's pre-loaded alterations, if any, of browser
defaults.

Have a safe day!

                                   -- Bill