Re: Cougar DTD extra character entities

Aymeric Poulain Maubant (Aymeric.PoulainMaubant@enst-bretagne.fr)
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 18:07:26 +0200

To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Cougar DTD extra character entities
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 18:07:26 +0200
From: Aymeric Poulain Maubant <Aymeric.PoulainMaubant@enst-bretagne.fr>

One upon a time esr@snark.thyrsus.com wrote :
> There's been some discussion of additions to the entities table in the Cougar
> draft <http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/Cougar/HTML.dtd>.
>
> As the maintainer of the terminfo databases, and co-maintainer of ncurses,
> I'd like to urge that the special characters of the curses ACS series also be
> included in the standard entities.  This would have major functional and
> portability benefits, enabling one of the most widely used extension-glyph
> aets to be mapped directly to HTML.
>
> These characters are:
>
> upper left corner	ACS_ULCORNER
[...] and especially :
> lantern symbol  	ACS_LANTERN

Seems to me that some of this ACS stuff, and similar considerations,
should be addressed in a more general study like ["HTML predefined icon-like
symbols", (W3C Working Draft 15 Feb 1996)], before being included in any HTML
DTD.

	<URL:http://www.w3.org:80/pub/WWW/TR/WD-wwwicn>

	Aymeric [who was a lurker on this list for months, and will
		try to say valuable things from now..]