Parsing methods (was Re: Form elements and the rest of the

Walter Ian Kaye (boo@best.com)
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 03:37:51 -0700

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 03:37:51 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
From: Walter Ian Kaye <boo@best.com>
Subject: Parsing methods (was Re: Form elements and the rest of the

At 12:54a -0400 07/10/96, Sunil Mishra wrote:

>I have been writing a parser to deal with HTML

I need to write a parser too, and am wondering if someone out there might
provide some general hints. Actually, finding the tags themselves is fairly
straightforward -- what I'm looking for is how to parse the contents of a
tag: <ELEMENT attr1=abc attr2="def ghi" attr3="jkl" attr4=mno>.

I'm not looking for a Perl or C answer -- I just need some generic method
of separating out the attribute/value pairs that can be adapted to a
variety of languages.

thanks,
-Walter :)