Re: Resizing images relative to window size

James Aylett (sja20@hermes.cam.ac.uk)
Thu, 4 Jul 1996 17:38:45 +0100 (BST)

Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 17:38:45 +0100 (BST)
From: James Aylett <sja20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To: Jon Wallis <j.wallis@wlv.ac.uk>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Resizing images relative to window size

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Jon Wallis wrote:

> On  4 Jul 96 at 17:20, James Aylett wrote about external image programs
>
> Well, of course, this is what happened before "in-line" display came
> in with Mosaic.  I always quite liked having an external viewer
> start-up to view images, but I suspect it wouldn't satisfy most
> people (especially people who are obsessed with appearance rather
> than content).  The idea of being able to configure a browser to
> either display images in-line or pass them to a helper app is
> interesting, but I don't think it would work in practice - too many
> web pages now are tightly-bound mixtures of text+graphics (e.g.,
> newspaper/magazine sites).

No, I meant that you'd have an external application work on it to a
temporary file or area of memory, and then the browser would pick the
result up and display it in its own window.

James

  James Aylett - Crystal Services (crystal.clare.cam.ac.uk): BBS, Ftp and Web
     Clare College, Cambridge, CB2 1TL -- sja20@cam.ac.uk -- (0976) 212023