Dump MULTICOLS, enhance DIV

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 15:05:46 -0700

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
Cc: "'alexed@netscape.com'" <alexed@netscape.com>
Subject: Dump MULTICOLS, enhance DIV
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 15:05:46 -0700

Two suggestions for Netscape:

-1-

Dump the MULTICOLS tag in favor of enclosing the COLS, GUTTER =
(COLSPACE), and COLWIDTH elements in the DIV tag.

I do not understand the need for a new tag. The functionality of =
MULTICOLS is a logical enhancement to the DIV tag.

Consider the DIV element a section marker, with a section having one =
column by default. Multiple columns would be specified with the COLS=3Dn =
attribute, with optional specifications for intercolumn space and column =
width.

I don't see how this would compromise the DIV tag. Non-column-rendering =
browsers would simply ignore the unknown attributes. The HTML markup =
would be cleaner than if an additional one-vendor tag were required.

-2-=20

Replace GUTTER with COLSPACE. GUTTER historically refers to the bound =
white space between pages (there's a logical analogy here), not between =
columns on a page. Someone expanded the definition in an Aldus Pagemaker =
manual and it seems to have become "common knowledge" among some desktop =
publishers without a conventional graphics production background.

Is GUTTER used anywhere else in HTML? Is it commonly understood? Is it =
used in popular word processors? (The MS Word manual refers to gutter =
space correctly.) COLSPACE (or something equally descriptive in a =
general way) would be more appropriate here.

--

Hoping these tags were tossed out for feedback,=20

David Perrell