Re: Introducing NetscapeML | more

At 10:13 AM 1/7/96, Charles Peyton Taylor wrote:

>I don't think there is as much of a necessity for
>Microsoft to support Netscape's new tags as there
>was for the older Netscapisms.  *Especially* with
>CSS support.  I don't know about other sites, but
>my site is being accessed mostly by viewers using
>Netscape 1.x and 2.x in about equal amounts; writing
>for anything else would have to be time-efficient
>(as is CSS for the reasons given above.)  Why take
>the time and effort (and there are already many
>things to do with a web site) to write for NS 3
>when people are using NS 1?  CSS, on the other hand,
>is too efficient to pass up.

Anyone that thinks that NS should lose consumer support and who
wishes to bolster CSS to raise peoples awareness of it should put
a "Best viewed with such-and-such browser" at the top of their pages
with a link to the appropriate site/page of sites.  If only MS IE
would support more platforms.  What I'm saying is that since it is
the masses that drive the market, these are the people that should
be addressed - NS gives a rat's about what we say, their currently
having a "wowser of a time" reading this thread. (Is that still an
American saying or just a memory from Happy Days?)  To that person
who contributed to this list - if you like the <marquee> tag, then use
it with a remark that this page is best read with MS IE.

I'd personally like to see neither MS nor NS come out the winner in
the Web war, but some smaller browser company which has the best of
both worlds since they can put in their DTD whatever they like.

Regards,

Brooke

>What Microsoft *does* have to do is finish IE 3
>and make it available for Win 3.x, Macintosh,
>and Unix (yes, Unix) platforms.

>>PUBLISHNET: ---- Integrated Internet Publishing
>>www.publishnet.com --------- editor@mbeacon.com

---