Re: Introducing NetscapeML

Martin Hamilton (martin@mrrl.lut.ac.uk)
Wed, 03 Jul 1996 05:07:58 +0100

To: "T. V. Raman" <raman@adobe.com>
Cc: Ka-Ping Yee <s-ping@orange.cv.tottori-u.ac.jp>,
Subject: Re: Introducing NetscapeML
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 05:07:58 +0100
From: Martin Hamilton <martin@mrrl.lut.ac.uk>

"T. V. Raman" writes:

| Ka-Ping is right --in the world of free browsers users can *demand*
| not plead.
|
| To cite an example, I'm blind and use a talking computer. A couple of
| months ago, I was (temporarily) thrilled to see an announcement coming
| out of MicroSoft saying that their new browser would be accessible to
| blind users using screen-access programs --the almost total
| inaccessibility of NetScape has been a serious problem.

Just to echo this - my girlfriend is partially sighted (no snide
remarks, please :-) and is quite happy using plain text email, but
can't make any sense out of Web pages that are a mass of in-lined
advertisments, in-lined backgrounds and coloured text, fonts, frames,
applets and assorted multimedia crud^H^H^H^Hcontent.  So, it's
heartening to hear that at least one browser vendor is thinking
seriously about the problem of access.  I can almost forgive you for
DOS and Windows*.  Almost.

If you're (associated with) a browser vendor which isn't particularly
bothered about minority cases like hers - just bear in mind that
there's a large market which has similar difficulties.  They're called
*senior citizens*, and you may even live to be one yourself!

Martin